Thursday, November 15, 2007

Sleeping on the same side of the bed

Ever notice how men & women develop the habit of always sleeping on the same side of the bed. I sleep on the left side of the bed and my wife sleeps on my right. We’re very comfortable that way, but how did we develop that habit? I asked my wife if she knew, and she actually remembered the story.
When we got married, we moved into an efficiency apartment near the campus of Lamar University where I was a student. It was a tiny apartment with no central heating system. My wife had already graduated from Lamar and was teaching at a Jr. High School. She had to get up each morning earlier than I did, because she had to drive to school, where as, I had only a short walk to campus.
Our apartment was cold on winter mornings, but there was a space heater located on the wall near the right side of the bed. Since my wife got up first, she got the warm side of the bed….the right side. And to this day, I’m much more comfortable sleeping on what I consider to be “My” side of the bed….the left side. Isn’t it strange how some of our habits come about?

No comments: