Saturday, September 1, 2007

Women's Equality

While I was mowing the grass today, my wife came out and pushed the mower about 3 feet, just so she could say that she helped. It was a joke, but I sometimes wonder just how liberated women really are. There is actually a pretty clear division of responsibilities at our house, and it’s pretty traditional. I mow the grass, take car of the cars, fix the plumbing, etc. She washes the clothes, mops the floor, and does the house cleaning. The division is not my choice, but hers. That’s how she wants it. And I see similar divisions in many other relationships.
When I was at Clearfork I saw something else that I thought was interesting. There was a group of young folks playing tippy cup and they began to loose their clothes. Before the girls would get naked, they would ask permission from their boyfriends, but the guys never asked the girls for permission…they just did it. There was a clear double standard.
I’m a big supporter of women’s equality, but I still see a lot of inequality, and I sometimes think that women do some of it to themselves.

1 comment:

Gaslight ;-) said...

Some of us just know what is a good deal and what isn't.
I'll take mowing over vacuuming any day, but after Grind "donted" three mowers to the locals, he bought a push mower. I have to take a running start to get it to move.
Housework? I do write the check to the housekeeper, so yeah, that job's mine.
Ask Grind who broke his fancy vacuum. :-)